Come On Baby, Light My Fire
If you’ve read my story, you’ll
know that I went from desert rat to mountain woman in about six hours flat (the
time it took to U-Haul ourselves up here). Needless to say it took some
adjusting.
The first time I ever lit a fire in our stove Travis
was away on a work detail when a cold snap hit, and I had literally had to have a friend draw me a diagram of how to set up
newspaper, kindling, and wood to start and maintain a fire. I had to learn that
a damper has nothing to do with being or making anything damp. I became very familiar with the smell of smoke, and got lots of
splinters. I also learned that newspaper was messy, stinky, and an enemy I didn’t
know I had.
After paying $10 for twenty packets of the commercially sold
stuff for a while, and trying to make friends with newspaper when I got sick of paying that (it didn’t work out
between us), I figured hey, lots of stuff
is flammable, there must be something that’s safe to use in a stove right? Of
course Ana White came to the rescue with this post about making
fire starters from sawdust. I do it a little differently, but the basic concept
is the same.
You can make these in a big log, like Ana did, but I like to make mine in cupcake tins! It makes them the
perfect size to place under some kindling and get you going. It starts a good,
hot fire quickly with no mess and no smoke!
I accumulated the cupcake tins I use at yard sales and flea
markets to be used specifically for this purpose. The first time I made them, I chose
to line them with a little square of newspaper because I didn’t know how easily
they would come out of the tin. It turns out this was accidentally brilliant,
but more on that in a bit.
You'll Need:
Paraffin wax
I use GulfWax 16 oz. bars
Saw chips or
saw dust
Shop dust even works if it’s untreated wood. I’ve
used pine and hardwood dust when in a pinch
Newspaper
Cut into roughly 4”x4” squares
Cupcake tin(s)
Something to
melt your wax in
Mixing bowl and spoon
Here we go!
| Melt your wax. |
| Mix it up |
Once your wax is melted, add about one and a half red Solo cups (very technical here, guys) of this beautiful stuff to your mixing bowl.
I like using a coffee
can because 1. Lord knows we have an abundance, and 2. Because you can store
extra newspaper and your cups in it when it’s not in use. Pour or scoop enough
wax into the saw chips to make the mixture moist. There’s really
no science here, but you're going for just a bit more wood than wax.
I initially did
this to make sure I could get them out of the tins easily. I planned on
removing the fire starters from the paper and using them naked, so to speak. They work great like that as well, but I found they
can take a little while to light. If you leave them wrapped
in newspaper, all you have to do is light a few corners of the paper. The paper
lights immediately and it does the work of lighting the cupcake for you.
Scoop some of your saw chip mixture into the paper, and pack it down. I level mine out just below the rim of the tin.
| This is what they look like "naked". |
| It's best to store them wrapped up so they don't come apart on you. |
Here are a couple pictures of them in action...
| Better fire-builders can make a great fire with a tee-pee. I'm loyal to the lean-to. |
| Still in there working hard |
| Three minutes flat. I timed myself. |
Give them a try! If you heat your home with a wood stove, I promise these will make your life easier.
Thanks for stopping by!
~Cassie
Labels: From Scratch, Mountain Living, Tutorial

2 Comments:
I buy used candles at yard sales for pennies. Since we had an abundance of pinecones, I used those by dipping them in melted candle wax, wrapped them in newspaper to make a "candy kiss". I achieved the same thing by lighting the top as you do with your "firecake". My "teepee" kindling starter is a bit shorter than yours.
What a great idea to use pinecones! Not to mention they sound beautiful :)
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home