The Green Granny Chair
A simple but lovely transformation...
Last summer I came across this cutie at a yard sale.
One of the things I love about garbaging (a.k.a. junking - it's time you knew what I truly call it) "at the source" is the stories that come home with you. They cling to your treasures, or in this case, sit on your chair!
I wish I could tell you the style of this chair (comments are very welcome if you have any ideas), but I tried researching it to no avail. However, while the story of its style is unknown to me, the history of this particular seat is a lovely story. Imagine a little, white haired lady sitting for hours in this chair, sewing needlepoint and knitting for grand- and great-grandkids, storing her precious pieces in a basket underneath the seat. That is the story behind this pretty little perch.
It was a bit rickety, but really in great shape. A little bit of reinforcing, and I could turn my attention to making it pretty.
This little spindle shelf had me considering making a planter chair for a second - a split second! It was just too pretty a chair to carve up.
For the most part, the rehab was simple, but I had a few interesting aesthetic issues to work out.
Poor old Green Granny only had one shoe...
I had no idea what this sticker was all about, but I was so afraid it would be a nightmare to remove.
I went with my go-to for unexplained sticky ick - Goo Gone - and was so pleased that it worked as well on this as it does on everything (and I do mean everything!). Fun fact: a squirt of this orange scented magic gets nasty furniture-stain soiled hands clean STAT.
The next challenge was this nasty white splatter that littered the bottom of the seat. I couldn't even venture a guess at this mystery stubstance, I just knew it was... ew. I took my Ryobi Corner Cat to it and just smoothed it out as best I could. Lucky it hid under the seat, eh?
I went with a soft forest green color that I had in my stock (you may recognize it from my shutters), and Minwax furniture wax. I wasn't sold on the wax at first, but I am now. I guess learning how to apply it properly might have something to do with it! It leaves a beautiful sheen to your piece, giving it that "finished" look with a gentle gleam rather than a true shine, as poly tends to do.
You know I like a good distress job, but I just adored the soft, buttery finish that the wax gave the flat paint. Yes, a chair can in fact be buttery.
The green was beautiful on its own, but I thought she needed a little extra love. The ridge of the back rest was calling me. It said something along the lines of "I need swirls and spots curly-ques!" so I obliged.
Thank you for stopping by!
~Cassie
Linking up here:
&
Labels: Finishes, Furniture, Home Decor, Reborn, Vintage











%5B1%5D.jpg)


1 Comments:
I have a chair like this...not nearly as pretty though! I love the color...and the flourish at the top was therperfect touch. I also love the inspiration...thanks!!
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home