Tuesday, May 6, 2014

2nd Hand Haul

I feel like today is a big day... like I'm graduating. Or at least passing a class of moderate importance.

I have decided to start an ongoing series! 




Welcome to the very first Second Hand Haul post! Every weekend that I am able (and on days in between, dumpsters or Craigslist permitting), I load up the little man and set off to find new treasures. I brake for yard sales, frequent a few antique and thrift shops, and try to make it to the local swap meet held in the next town over. Some weekends, like this past weekend, I strike gold! Second Hand Haul won't be for everyone, but I know there are a few junkers out there who, like me, can't resist a good pile of rust and will appreciate the eye candy!

I plan to have these posts for you every Monday - yes, I know, I'm already late. What can I say, ideas strike when they strike and I didn't want to wait until next week.

First up! This darling child's table set. 



It was a rare summer Saturday because I had both of my guys with me, so I should have known the day would be special! On our way into town to visit The Hub (the aforementioned swap meet/flea market), we found the mother of all yard sales. The table will need some love, and the whole thing needs paint, but I couldn't pass it up. It went in to the "for the boy" pile.

I just fell in love with this chair! It struck me as a high chair, but has no tray. I decided to think of it as a big-kid booster seat of sorts. 



If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook (and you definitely should :), you may have seen this...


Isn't it beautiful? I am smitten. It's pewter, and old, and dented, and just perfection.

My mom- and dad-in-law met us at the flea market, and came bearing gifts! The following three are technically their second hand hauls...

This table needs a little work, but it's such a fun table. For some unGodly reason, someone put veneer on the top. That process will be a fun first, stay tuned!

Photobomb! Can you spot her?
Old sewing machine drawers. I can't stop looking at the carvings on these. I haven't decided what to make of these yet, but they'll become something beautiful.



This little doll high chair is just so dang cute. It was pretty rickety, which made me nervous, but all it needed was some screwdriving to make it good as new! A fun coat of paint and this will be a precious little something.



I was just so thrilled to have found so many new great pieces of furniture! It feels so lucky when I stumble upon pieces that need minimal figuring out - that means I can get right to the fun! You'll likely see these again in the near future as I ready them for sale (or for my boy, in the case of the table and chairs).

Do you have a favorite something that you hunt for week after week, or do you prefer to let the winds of junk fate blow? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Happy week!
 
 Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the veneered table...simple elegance..
and who can ever resist children's furniture...and pewter love mine from 40 years ago...great haul...can't wait to see you work your magic.

 
At May 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Barbara, I love the antique table too! It has such great original hardware. I found myself accidentally collecting pewter - I loved it for years and didn't even realize what it was. Some girls get giddy for ironstone (which is gorgeous, I admit), but it's tarnished metal that really gets me!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home