Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Unexpected Jewelry Display

When I shared the hanging jewelry displays I made from reclaimed and cabinet hardware for our little local Bazaar, they caught the eye of one of my very favorite people!

My cousin, Halli, is a stylish lady, and of course great style comes with lots of jewelry! We worked together on creating a custom jewelry display that would organize and show off her jewelry at the same time.





Halli wanted her piece larger than the bazaar options, so I attached four scrap pieces together. These were interesting pieces - not quite 1x4s and not quite 2x4s. They are actually about 1-1/8" thick. Peculiar!


I joined the boards with pocket holes. Not the prettiest part of the project, but the pocket holes will keep the wood securely together.




Halli wanted her display in a burgandy color to match her decor, so I dry painted and stained the piece. I then dry-fitted the hardware and took some measurements to ensure everything was spaced out nicely. 




I used a cabinet/drawer hardware jig to get the holes just right. I'll admit, I drilled a lot of holes for hardware on various pieces, and subsequently filled a lot of "just off" holes, before discovering this little gem. It makes such quick, simple work out of a tedious task.





There is a scrap piece of wood beneath the display to "catch" the drill.




After drilling the holes, I used a countersink bit to create a little dip on the backside of the piece. The hardware I was using called for machine screws that screw into the handles from behind, so this helps compensate for the screw. (Note: take the thickness of the board into account before doing this!)




It creates the perfect space for the screw to hide in so that the jewelry display can lie flat against the wall.




Now for the fun part. I added a jar to act as a catch-all for those days Halli might be in a hurry!




Some pretty handles to store bracelets. These are great for cuffs and "danglies" alike.




I love these upside-down drawer pulls for catching rings and earrings. Hooked earrings also hang on them perfectly.




And my favorite part, the glass knobs. They're very simple, but they coordinate with the jar and add just the right amount of girly!




All together now!








Thanks for stopping by! Now go make something pretty to display your jewelry :).


 

 Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!

Linking up here:











Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At June 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Molly Mac said...

Cute, creative & functional....love it!

 
At June 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is so darn cute!

 
At June 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

Very cool! Thank you for sharing Cassie.
Rita "mammabellarte"

 
At June 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Very cute! Does it have sawtooth hangers on the back?

 
At June 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments!

 
At June 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Allison! I actually went with D-ring hangers. I thought it might hold the weight a little bit better than sawtooth hangers.

 
At June 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Really like this idea!

 
At September 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM , Blogger sara said...

I don't wear much jewelry, but I love just about every piece you posted! My favorites are the hand-stamped ring, the & necklace.. and if I were a mom, I would absolutely want the necklace with my kids' handwriting.


gemstone trend

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home