DIY Decorative Breadboards
Thank you so much for stopping by Lovely Weeds! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram to keep up with my latest projects and Lovely Weeds news.
Today's post combines just about my two favorite things in the world: wood and coffee.
Not your average combination, eh? In truth, it's a pretty common one around these parts because I always have coffee nearby and I'm usually working on something wooden. Actually using them together, however, was a new experience for me!
I have always had an appreciation for old breadboards with decorative handles. Big, small, in between, I just love them.
![]() |
| Photo from The French Inspired Room |
Of course I fancy old, beat up boards most, but those aren't always easy to come by.
![]() |
| Photo from Bohemian Homes |
I unfortunately don't have pictures showing how I cut the boards. This was one of those projects that popped into my head and was finished in an hour because I was so excited about it. Does that ever happen to you? One minute the light bulb flickers on, and the next you're elbow deep in saw dust - or in this case, coffee grounds and mineral oil!
I bought a four foot long 1"x6" maple board (it is sold by the foot and was not cheap, so I decided to start small until I knew what I was doing!), and cut it into one foot long pieces. I sketched out a few simple favorite handle designs on some paper, folded it in half and cut it out. From there it was simply a matter of tracing the design and cutting it out with my scroll saw.
Here they are cut, sanded, and ready to be prettied.
One of the things I was a bit concerned about when starting this project was in how to darken the color of the boards. I knew stain wasn't an option because no stain in my price range is food safe. What to do?
Then I thought about my teeth. Yes, my teeth. I have used whitening toothpaste and strips for years because of all the darned caffeine I drink. That was my answer - coffee!
It's food, so food safe it is!
I took the filter right out of the pot (it was cool of course), and went to work rubbing it over my cleaned breadboards.
My mouth is watering just looking at that. I have a problem.
The difference isn't a very drastic one, but the coffee enriched the color and brought out the grain beautifully. I'm sure they will darken over time with use as well.
I'm pretty happy with how they turned out! I'm excited to experiment with more sizes and different types of wood for future bread and cutting boards.
Thanks for stopping by! Take a second to let me know what you think!
Featured here!
Linking up here:
Labels: At the Shop, From Scratch, Home Decor, Kitchen, Tutorial










%5B1%5D.jpg)




6 Comments:
Beautiful, I am sharing tonight!
Thank you so much Becky!
Love what you created!
I really like this idea, especially since I collect old boards and refurbish them to use again.
Old cutting boards would be perfect for this! You could personalized them in so many different ways. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)
I need some of these! What a great gift idea too, with a loaf of bread :)
Debbie
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home