Salvaged License Plate Tray
Thank you so much for stopping by Lovely Weeds! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram to keep up with my latest projects and Lovely Weeds news.
Happy Friday! I have a fun salvage project for your weekend.
Remember these?
No? Ok, we'll zoom out a bit. How about now?
Yes! They were from my last 2nd Hand Haul post. I was just itchin' to do something with these cute little license plates. I believe they are motorcycle plates, but feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.
I love salvaged license plates because they are so versatile. This old bird house was from my Nana's house. She had a collection of bird houses of all shapes and sizes on a retaining wall on her property. I love the tin roof on the place :).
Just look at a couple of the great repurposed license plate projects I found on Hometalk:
| Garden junk dragonfly from Repurposed Life |
| Bird feeder/house from Gadget Sponge |
I didn't do a tutorial, because it was a pretty simple project, and was made to size from scraps. The wooden tray is made from 1x3 boards, and were stained in Rustoleum's Dark Walnut.
Don't ask me why I picked two Nebraska plates! I have no connection whatsoever to the state, though I've heard it's beautiful. I'm guessing I was in a patriotic frame of mind and I was drawn to the red and blue...
I added some leather straps to give it a little something extra.
Easy, fun, cute little project. Bound for the shop!
Have a great weekend, everybody! Thanks so much for stopping by.
Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!
Featured by...
Linking up here...
Labels: At the Shop, From Scratch, Home Decor, Junkyard Style, Reborn, Scrap Pile












13 Comments:
I really love your EASY project, as you say. Hometalk is great for finding so many creative ideas. The dragonfly and birdfeeder, too cool. Never would have thought of a license plate roof on a birdhouse (awesome); nevertheless, storage is king and your tray looks like it will come in quite handy (I want one, lol). Stopping by from Funky Junk ~ Amy
Love your re purposing of these license plates. ...the tray is great...I want one too...have to get handy I guess...love your ideas.
Actually the Nebraska plates caught my eye and I thought I found a fellow Cornhusker! This is a great up-cycle! I think I'm going to have to go in search of my own vintage plates and try to duplicate some day. Fun!
Thank you Amy!
Thanks so much Barbara!
I was almost ashamed to admit I'd never even been to Nebraska after making this, glad to see it is Cornhusker approved! Thanks so much for the sweet comment :).
This is awesome--I love old lisence plates!
Fun post thanks for sharing the great photos.
I love this idea. What a fun and unique way to use license plates! Great job!
I'm jealous!! Its brilliant.
We don't have licence plates like this here in the UK (ours are not nearly as pretty haha) love it
Sarah @ EDEA SMITH
www.edea-smith.co.uk
Ohhhhh I love this so much! So naturally I have a question! LOL How are the 3 inside boards mounted together? From an extra piece of wood underneath? I didn't spot any tell tale screws through the plates...
Thanks so much for stopping by Donna! I used my Kreg jig to drill pocket holes on the underside of the bottom boards and joined them with screws that way. There are a couple of exposed screws through the license plates into the sides of the trays, but I did my best to rough them up so they blended in :).
Thank you! I looked up UK license plates after reading your posts, are they all yellow? I visited your site, I'll have to start linking up at I Made This Monday :).
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home