Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Favorite Door Repurpose

Happy Monday! Want sneak peaks at what's going on over here at Lovely Weeds? Follow us on Facebook and Instagram!

It feels like a great day for an easy, repurposed salvage project, doesn't it? 


When I first opened up my booth in Tin Pan Alley (read about it here!), the first piece I was sure about including was my salvaged door potting table. 



The original




Can you believe this beauty was destined for a burn pile? But Mom-in-law told Dad-in-law something to the effect of "Cassie will cry if she finds out you burned that," so he saved it for me! Of course he thought I was bonkers for wanting it in the first place, then ready for the circus when I made a piece of furniture out of it. Imagine his surprise when it sold! 

I won't reveal the price, but let's just say that I wasn't even sure I wanted it to sell. I priced it with the idea that a very special person would need to really adore it! I would have loved to have met the woman who bought it! I feel like we just might be kindred spirits.


I was under the gun as far as replacing the central piece to my display, and while I had several ideas I wanted to try for that space, I decided to go with what I knew would work. I went to my favorite junk place (see a couple of my Mountain Top Treasures trips here and here) knowing he would have a beautiful old door for me to repurpose.


Ta-da.



Where we started

It's not as chippy and "seasoned" as my last door, but I loved the panels and and size, and the open area toward the top. The big strong man sanded her down for me (this was during the weekend of a thousand projects, so the poor guy was put to work!), and I took it from there.


One side sanded beautifully. The perfect amount of natural wood showed through, giving it a great finish, so I left that side as-is. The other side had a turquoise/greenish paint that was brought to the surface. I'm not one to discriminate against the undercoats, but I really loved 
the shabby white finish of my previous piece, so I painted the odd spots white.



The construction of the table is simple, using pocket holes to join the side braces to the legs. 




I used scrap wood for the shelves... 





Note: I painted the sides of the shelves after reviewing this picture :)


One of the things that I love about this particular table is that it is actually multi-purpose. It will sit in the shop as the previous piece did, but this table can be used from the other side as well.




This could easily be used as a lemonade stand, ice cream booth, puppet theatre... so many fun options.


I was really happy with how it turned out. I have a special place in my heart for my first, falling-apart door, but this piece is very sturdy and was put together with a bit more forethought. I meant to add chicken wire to the window area, and I plan to when I can get the shop next. I plan to get you new pictures of how the shop is looking soon, and will include a picture of the updated door as well!


Feel free to pin this or any other images from this post! I only ask that you give Lovely Weeds a little shout out :).



Pin me!!
Thanks for stopping by!
 
 Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!

Featured by...





Linking up here...




Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It turned out great and I love your first one too, Cassie. Isn't it amazing how we sometimes see things in pictures that we haven't noticed before?

 
At July 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Julia! I agree, pictures can be like an extra set of eyes!

 
At July 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

So glad you "rescued" that wonderful chippy door! Love both pieces :)

 
At July 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Laurel!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home