Distressed Desk Makeover
This is probably my favorite furniture makeover to date.
That's right, I said it. I have a favorite!
I fell in love with this desk right away! You might remember it from 2nd Hand Haul 7. It has such beautiful detailing but is a strong, substantial, and not-too-feminine piece.
I don't think it was a mass-produced piece - in fact I'm pretty sure it was made by someone like me, but much more talented! I can tell that these decorative accents were hand-routered because they're inconsistent and imperfect in some places.
There are also several pieces where brad nail holes could be seen through the old finish. Not that that gave me any pause to take it on!
I got a surprise when I started to sand it down - the veneer started coming up on the front panel of the desk top. Luckily, with enough elbow grease to leave these elbows sore, I got up the whole panel. You can hardly tell that it is slightly lower than the other panels.
I thought about sticking with a shabby white, but went for color at the last minute. For the record, this is bold for me on a piece not meant specifically for a child. I have color issues!
![]() |
| The color is Martha Stewart for Glidden in Arrowroot |
A little nostalgia, since our anniversary was last month...
I don't think I posted about my new dough bowl in a 2nd Hand Haul! I got it the day I picked up my first piece of ironstone.
I've wanted one of these for a while. Before I knew what the heck they were other than great, big, beautiful wooden bowls! It's not in great shape, and I'm still on the lookout for a larger one with handles, but I'm happy to have it for now!
Feel free to pin this image! And of course don't forget to follow me while your at it...
Thanks for stopping by!
Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!
Linking up here...
Vintage Inspiration
MMS Furniture Feature Friday
Inspiration Gallery
My Repurposed Life
Fabulously Creative Friday
Shabbilicious Friday
CHF The Scoop
Labels: At the Shop, Finishes, Furniture, Ironstone, Reborn, Second Hand Haul












2 Comments:
A real labor of love and well worth all the effort! I love the color and love your dough bowl too:-) Thanks for sharing at the Vintage Inspiration Party.
Thank you Betsy! I'm so excited for the Vintage Inspiration group party, you all are so talented, it's a perfect fit!
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home