Friday, August 8, 2014

Vintage School Desk Makeover

I tried something new this week.

:)


I get so nervous before trying a new technique or product, especially on a piece I'm already fond of, but when it goes well? I get addicted! What was this new project, you ask?


DIY Chalkboard paint! It turned out AMAZING, and it was unbelievably easy! I used it on this vintage school desk...






 This is where the little desk started (I mentioned it first in 2nd Hand Haul #7)... 



The veneer was barely hanging on, so I removed it all. Luckily, it came off like buttah and the wood underneath was perfectly smooth. Lucky day!




It's almost embarrassing how easy this makeover was! I removed the veneer and sanded it for kicks, but it probably would have been fine to paint as it was.


I couldn't wait to try the DIY chalkboard paint, so that was where I got busy. I started with white paint, then added a touch of this fun turquoise color (Valspar, Rushing Stream). Every time I go to Lowes, I pick up a few of these pre-mixed samples. The variety changes every time I visit, and they're $2.50. The price helps me be a little more adventurous with color than I usually would.




Now this fancy stuff is the key ingredient. Unsanded grout is about $5 at any home improvement store, and I used less than a teaspoon to mix enough chalkboard paint for the desk top.



I followed this tutorial from The Space Between, you should definitely check out her tutorial!


I mixed up the paint, added the grout, and got to it! It went on smoothly, dried quickly, and came out beautifully. There are more than enough DIY disasters to make things interesting around here, so it's always a pleasant surprise when something is unexpectedly easy!




I went with white for the seat and seat back.




After painting the wood, I felt that the metal frame left a bit to be desired. Normally, I love the slightly rusted and aged look of metal that old, but it just didn't fit with the cool colors of the seat and desk. I couldn't resist having some fun and painting the metal too.




I painted it in the same way that I painted my mason jar lids for my Solar Mason Jar Chandelier, dry brushing grey on first and later going over it lightly and sporadically with black.



I just used black on the bottom tray to add a little interest

This is headed for the shop! Come and get it :)





Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to Pin away - and while your at it, be sure to follow me!



 Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!

Partying here...
Best of DIY, Vintage Inspiration Party, MMS Furniture Feature Friday, Inspiration Gallery, We Call It Junkin, Elizabeth & Co., Coastal Charm, My Repurposed Life, Fabulously Creative Friday, Shabbilicious Friday

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At August 13, 2014 at 7:23 AM , Blogger Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I really like the way that turned out!

 
At August 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love a quick and easy project and I love the way this turned out. Great color too. Thanks for sharing at the Vintage Inspiration Party.

 
At August 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Jackie @pleasureinsimplethings said...

What a great job! I would have walked right by this desk because of the metal - I would have chosen one that was all wood, but the metal ended up adding so much to the project. Your color choices were spot on...great job! L

 
At August 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Jackie! I took a gamble painting the metal, but I was really happy with how it turned out! I wanted it to look worn - but my way :)

 
At August 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Betsy! I'm excited for the new Vintage Inspiration party, three of my favorites in one place.

 
At May 4, 2015 at 10:14 PM , Blogger ibshell said...

How adorable!! I have one like this and have wanted to refinish it...but I didn't want to do black chalkboard paint. I love the colors you used and the distressing!! ;)
Thank you for linking this up to Project Challenge so we could be inspired by your awesome work!!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home