Repurposed Safe Deposit Box
I'm not sure what led me to buy safe deposit boxes a couple weeks ago. They weren't particularly pretty. They weren't very useful. They called to me though. (You might recognize them from this 2nd Hand Haul post)
And I'm glad I snatched them up! This is what I did with them...
I knew the general direction I wanted to head with these, but I wasn't sure what I would do to make it special. At first I wasn't fond of the brown color and I thought about painting it, but I had no specific vision and left that decision for later. The boxes sat in the shop for just a little while, staring at me. It was during the Great Chalkboard Kick of Late August that I found some inspiration!
When I was inspecting the box, I let it dangle on my finger from the handle and the lid flapped open.
Dim Lightbulb.
I thought about flowers spilling from it.
Big Bright Lightbulb!
What a cute place for a little greeting. Chalkboard it was! I taped off the outer edges of the area I was painting, and used black spray chalkboard paint. You'll notice the impression of that sticker in the finished photos - I guess when a sticker is fixed on something for 50+ years, it leaves a mark!
That was it! After I doodled on it a bit, I decided I liked it as it was - brown and black chalkboard. It's old, it's original, and it's nice and dinged up.
There is a little ring on the bottom side (originally the back of the drawer), that I thought was a nice place for a set of keys.
It's a complete ring, so you would need an "S" hook or a carabiner like mine.
I thought these dried flowers were beautiful in it, but it could easily be used to catch mail, cell phones, or to display a tall knick-knack.
The next time you come across a sad and lonely safe deposit box, don't count it out!
Thank you so much for stopping by...
Enjoyed this read? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!
Linking up here... Elizabeth & Co. Be Inspired | Best of DIY
Thank you so much for stopping by Lovely Weeds! Connect with me on social media to keep up with my latest projects and Lovely Weeds news.
Labels: At the Shop, Home Decor, Reborn, Tutorial















2 Comments:
wonderful boxes.. Cassie you are truly creative..
Amela Jones
Midlands safe deposit box
Are you going to do a follow up article? Would love to know what happens next.
Steve Allen,
Safety Deposit Box Midlands
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home