Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DIY Book Page Bunting

Hey remember that cute little DIY blog called Lovely Weeds? What happened to that girl who loves rusty stuff and old wood?

She had a baby!

And fell off the face of the earth for a while.

But look at this face...


Worth taking a break for, wouldn't you say?

But now I'm back to work! During the last month of my pregnancy, what I affectionately call the water buffalo stage, my head was swimming with project ideas. Projects for the house, for the shop, for the nursery, and for fun. I've got a want-to-do list a mile long, and I'm so excited to share things as I cross them off.

First up, a little nursery craft project.

You saw my first (and biggest!) nursery project when I shared baby girl's chalk paint dresser/changing table, and another sneak peak with my DIY mercury glass finish on plain vases. Since then, I finished a little reading nook project for the nursery, and I am a little bit in love.

I'm not sure why I was inspired by Peter Pan for the nursery. The adorable quotes? The chance to use vintage clocks? It captured me one day and I couldn't shake the idea. There is something so whimsical and sweet about the story. Hold on to innocence for as long as possible... and while you're at it, never stop believing. I couldn't think of a better message to surround my baby girl with.




Now, before I get scolded for sacrificing a book for today's project (you all are too sweet to do that, right?), I must disclose: I am a bookworm, a bibliophile - a nerd. I am one of those people who likes to go to the library or book store and just sit, looking at covers and flipping through pages. This is a project I did out of appreciation and love of books, not to massacre innocent literature.

There are so many images that come to mind when you think of the timeless story, but I didn't want to fill the walls up with too much visual clutter. This easy bunting strand allowed me to incorporate some of the story's silhouettes in a quiet and charming way.



I started by choosing a book that was the size I wanted, in this case about 5" x 7", and removed pages with a full page of print. I found some free silhouette images online and copied them to individual pages on Microsoft Word. After changing the standard paper size to match my book pages, the images printed out beautifully.


I trimmed the pages at the bottom for a little interest, and threaded thick twine through punched holes.


I gave myself about five feet of twine length to make sure I had enough to run the length of the reading corner. I tried different spacing distances until I found a good fit.


I love the look!


The twine has enough weight to it, and the pages are just stiff enough, that the bunting drapes beautifully.


"Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning..."

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

I always thought Nana, the dog, should have gotten a dusting of pixie dust too. The poor dog had to wear a bonnet and bib - she at least deserved to fly around the yard a few times.


This is one of those projects that is simple and easy to complete, but makes me smile every time I look at it. The little things matter just as much sometimes.


"It's wonderful what clever little girls can do..." After all, cleverness and imagination are fed by fairy tales...

"It's wonderful what clever little girls can do"

Which are even better told in a comfy char, in a cozy corner.

What's your take? Do you think it's sacrilegious to use book pages for crafts? Or do you think all's fair in love and DIY...

I'd love to hear your thoughts in a comment!

 Enjoyed this post? Sign up to get all my posts delivered to your inbox!

Sharing here...
Inspiration Gallery | Your Turn to Shine | Shabbilicious Friday | Sundays at Home | Vintage Inspiration Party | Moonlight & Mason Jars

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 24, 2015 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's an awesome project. Use those book pages!

 
At March 26, 2015 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Better to appreciate them than let them collect dust, right? Thanks for reading Krista!

 
At April 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

How whimsical! Peter Pan is such an imaginative story, perfect for a nursery.

 
At April 7, 2015 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much Audra! Something about that fairy dust :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home