Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Coffee Table Planter

Build your own coffee table with a space for flowers or succulents

This project was a doozy, in all the best ways.


A few weeks ago a good friend of mine, a talented photographer named Ashley Cherry (see her work HERE!), approached me to work with her in creating some unique furniture and decorations for her new studio space. First up a coffee table with a space built in for succulents. This is the inspiration photo I had to work with...

http://www.lovelyweeds.com
Source
Now, there may be plans on the website that this picture is from, but I couldn't tell you. Whatever language that is in, I don't speak it! The source page is worth taking a look at though - the photos of pallet projects are beautiful in any language.

Before I get into the nuts and bolts of how to build this table, I must say that it is easier done than explained. I used reclaimed wood, so a lot of measurements and cuts had to be done as I went along. That makes for a difficult tutorial, unless you go into it knowing that you'll have to do some figuring on your end to make it all work.

Since I was creating my own plans for the table, I sketched out the specs beforehand to determine my cuts.

www.lovelyweeds.com


The pallets I had on hand were very weathered - beautiful, but not so sturdy. So I built the base of the table using 2x6 and 2x4 boards from my heap of scraps which I am happy to say is stacked and organized now! You're welcome neighbors.

www.lovelyweeds.com

Wood Used:
2 - 2x6 boards at 8 feet long
2 - 2x4 boards at 8 feet long
1x8 pallet boards
Plywood

Cuts for the table base:
2 - 2x6 @ 48"
2 - 2x6 @ 44.5"
4 - 2x4 @ 18"
2 - 2x4 @45"

I built a simple base starting with the outer box, countersinking my 2 1/2" screws. I didn't bother to hide them with pocket holes since it would all be covered up in the end.

www.lovelyweeds.com

I attached the 2x4 legs to the inside of the box. Pilot holes, as always, are important to avoid splitting!

www.lovelyweeds.com

Though I forgot to take pictures at the time, I added supports to the center of the table at this point. The box for the succulents created supports that ran in-line with the pallet top, so I dry-fitted the top boards and marked where the cross-supports would need to fit.

www.lovelyweeds.com

From there I added another two 2x4 pieces across the middle, from the outside 2x6 to the planter box, to support those old wooden boards (not pictured)*. A piece of plywood cut to size and the base was done!*

*I didn't include these in the cut list because the measurements could vary depending on the size of your pallet boards. When you're using pallets, there's no guarantee of a uniform size, so measure, measure, MEASURE!

This is where things get pretty.

The top of the table went on first with brad nails from my favorite tool, my Ryobi Airstrike, ommitting the center two boards to create the space for succulent box.

www.lovelyweeds.com

I added another set of pallet boards to the outside of my 2x6 box. Look at that gorgeous, seasoned wood!

www.lovelyweeds.com

A facelift for the legs...

www.lovelyweeds.com

www.lovelyweeds.com

And short pieces to finish up the planter box.

www.lovelyweeds.com

www.lovelyweeds.com

I sanded it very well and gave it two coats of Rustoleum matte clear spray paint. Doing that brings out the amazing color variation and texture in the wood, and also makes it much easier to clean. Ever try to dust raw, unsanded reclaimed wood? Then I know you're with me.

I was so in love with this piece that I've already recreated it for sale. Luckily, Ashley was just as happy with it as I was! She was even kind enough to take some beautiful shots of the finished table for me.

www.lovelyweeds.com

www.lovelyweeds.com

www.lovelyweeds.com

www.lovelyweeds.com

Now if you'll excuse me...

www.lovelyweeds.com

I need to run out and buy some succulents, because they're gorgeous.

*This post contains affiliate links. All opinions expressed are my own!

Enjoyed this post? Sign up to get all my posts delivered to your inbox!

Sharing here...

Moonlight & Mason Jars  | Vintage Inspiration Party  | Furniture Feature Friday | Catch as Catch Can | Sunday's at Home 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At May 31, 2015 at 3:30 AM , Blogger Sum of their Stories said...

Woah, that is just lovely! Great tip about the spray too, thanks.

 
At May 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Carolee Crafts said...

What a brilliant idea, looks fantastic

 
At June 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM , Blogger My Repurposed Life said...

The finished table with the succulents is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can.

catching you!
gail

 
At June 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It makes such a difference! And the easier cleaning makes the extra effort worth it :)

 
At June 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Carolee :)

 
At June 6, 2015 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the feature Gail! So happy to share with your readers!

 
At September 10, 2015 at 3:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the way u show all the post.Anyway good post.
Thumbs up !!!!
Shabby Chic Furniture

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home