Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fall Firewood Sign

I can't believe I've never shared this sign before...



It was the star of my Etsy Shop for the better part of a year (which is currently out of commission, but you can check it out HERE), before my little trays took off (you can see the tutorial for those HERE - it was one of my first posts, be kind!).

It all started when the mister was cutting firewood. He came in with a beautiful little slice of wood and asked if I had any use for it. One of the logs he was cutting was perfectly round and especially smooth, so he thought they might make something interesting!

I had seen this quote floating around Pinterest and thought it would be perfect to use on the wood slice to make a sign! What better material for a sign with a firewood quote than actual firewood?

Henry Ford quote
Source
Since I made this particular sign about a year ago, I don't have a tutorial for you. BUT it's so easy to recreate!

Honestly. Slice, sand, paint, seal, hang.


That's the genuine Lovely Weeds firewood pile, the sign's roots.


I used juniper, which is a beautiful and fragrant hardwood found around here, but you could really use any kind. Travis literally "sliced" a log into pieces with his chain saw to make small rounds for me to paint the quote on. They also sell pre-cut wood slices in craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels.


This shelf serves as a sort of mantle for our home, so it's usually the first place to be to show hints that a new season is around the corner. It will fill in as I get more in the "fall" mood, but its a start.


This quote is truly one of my favorites. Yes, the literal meaning of the quote lends itself to a cabin atmosphere, especially to hang near a wood burning stove or fireplace. More than that though, it's a reminder that hard work always pays off in more ways than one.


When I recreated this sign for sale, I blackened the edges to look as if they had been burned. This first sign, however, has genuine scaring. This wood happened to be from an area that was badly affected by a historic wildfire here in 2002. Part of the reason I held on to this particular sign is the little piece of local history that it represents. Even though it happened well before we lived in this area, the reminders are everywhere. Yes, wildfires again. What can I say, they're still on my mind.


This is always one of my favorite pictures, but I especially love it in the fall! It just feels warm and makes me think of a fire in the stove and a chubby toddler in my lap! I haven't displayed it near the firewood sign before, and I love how they compliment each other.


It's not quite time for pumpkins and the smell of cinnamon yet, but it's coming!


Are you ready?
CassieSignatureSunshineSoul 
Sharing here...
Vintage Inspiration 

 Enjoyed this post? Subscribe to Lovely Weeds by Email

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM , Blogger thistlewoodfarm said...

Such a creative piece just in time for fall! Love it!!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home