Thursday, October 15, 2015

Discovering Podcasts and Working Where You Can

[THIS POST IS PART OF A 31 DAY SERIES. START HERE IF YOU'RE NEW!]


I have just discovered podcasts.

I hear the collective "wha....?!", but it's true. I listened to my first podcast when John and Sherry Petersik of Young House Love were on The Lively Show a few weeks ago, and the genius who lives inside my phone introduced me to a whole new world. Podcasts are my go-to jam when I'm building/painting/fixing/etc.

I'm a sucker for the inspirational talks, and one of my favorites is Raise Your Hand Say Yes, from Tiffany Han. She interviews various creative entrepreneurs and I always take something away from their conversations.

One in particular, with author Austin Kleon, the conversations kind of veers off onto the unrelated topic of work space. She uses a revamped Tuff shed in her back yard and he works from his garage. I loved their thoughts on how you can't wait until you have the perfect space to start creating - you have to work with what you have until you get where you want to be. It's so relevant to those of us who are somewhere in the middle of our stories and are feeling a little stuck with the walls around us.

"Perfectionism is fear in a nice suit". I'm guilty of feeling let down and inhibited by an imperfect work space, but the truth is, the end result has very little to do with the space you work in. A baker can make a gorgeous wedding cake in a tiny kitchen as long as it has a stove. An artist can create a masterpiece as long as he or she has a canvas and a brush. Why let "perfectionism" keep you from making beautiful things?

The whole interview is great, but the talk about how your home and work space affects your creativity begins around the nine minute mark and goes until around minute twenty. Give it a listen on your commute or treadmill, wherever you need some encouraging words to fill the quiet air.

Do me a favor and let me in on your favorite podcasts in the comments!

Don't forget to check out my 31 Days Pinterest HERE board for my favorite posts from other participants!
CassieSignatureSunshineSoul
See the rest of my 31 Day of Writing series:
Day 1: Challenge Accepted
Day 2: Choosing To Love It
Day 3: Do Something About It
Day 4: A Sunday Well Spent
Day 5: Beware a Busy Life
Day 6: In a Word
Day 7: Beauty in Humble Places
Day 8: Mess Management
Day 9: Finding Your Happy Place
Day 11: 31 Day-er Favorites
Day 12: More is Not More
Day 14: How To Paint With a 4 Year Old

Enjoyed this post? Subscribe to Lovely Weeds by Email

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home