Monday, October 5, 2015

Socrates Gets Me

[THIS POST IS PART OF A 31 DAY SERIES. START HERE IF YOU'RE NEW!]

31 Days of Contentment

Who would have thought that 2,500 year old advice could be so relevant.

I have never been comfortable with being busy. By nature, I'm a free-spirited, smell the flowers kind of girl.

Basically, I'm Ferdinand.

I didn't realize I was an introvert until just a few years ago though, because I had spent my adolescence and early twenties thinking I was an extrovert. I did all the favors, and went wherever I was invited, and said yes to just about everything without considering whether or not I actually wanted or had time to. Not because I had anybody to impress, but because I simply didn't understand that the alternative was acceptable.

I volunteered, I tutored, I Zumba-ed, I hosted have-a-party-get-free-stuff dinners... but I mostly just wanted to be home with my guy. When things that should be optional and fun become dreaded obligations, what's the point?

If you don't even know why you're saying yes, it might be time to take stock of what is actually contributing to your life - and what is just draining joy from it. There's nothing wrong with calm.

Learn no. Force yourself to apologize once, mean it, then move on! If you are up for everything, than what's left for you? And if there's nothing left for you, there is certainly nothing left for the people you love.

Purging your schedule is as rewarding as dumping out that junk drawer. Put the necessary stuff back in, and fill the gaps with whatever your heart is craving. Pencil in your free time and waste it well.

A full life is better than a busy life. tweet this

Check out my 31 Days of Contentment Pinterest board for some of my favorites from the other challenge participants! Happy Monday, and happy Day 5 :).

CassieSignatureSunshineSoul 
See the rest of my 31 Day of Writing series:
Day 1: Challenge Accepted
Day 2: Choosing To Love It
Day 3: Do Something About It
Day 4: A Sunday Well Spent

Enjoyed this post? Subscribe to Lovely Weeds by Email

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home